Summer forgot us this year, but last Friday it arrived! I found the car almost driving itself to the shores of Lake Hayes to dip its toes in the water. Me, Hunter, River and the Pup were on an adventure.
Normally I would need All The Things, so we would have to go home first. Cue multiple nappy changes and no doubt a bout of tears from someone. Things would get intense. I’d probably not want to go out after all. BUT NOT with the Spontaneous Adventure Car Kit (SACK) in the car!
This doesn’t replace my nappy bag (suitcase?!) which still houses all of the necessary items for a “normal” outing. But the SACK means you can be Fun Mummy, say yes at the drop of a hat, you know, the mummy you always wanted to be?!
So here is what I have in mine.
– 2 nappies for each child & wipes. I have mine tucked away in a handy nappy wallet from www.beansproutstore.co.nz
– 2 towels. We go to a lot of playgrounds. Have you ever noticed how much dew there is at playgrounds early in the morning (especially you mummas whose children don’t sleep in either, I see you. I see you with your sunglasses and takeout coffee cups) towels mean a lot less wet bottoms. Which is lovely for everyone, really.
– Snacks. non-perishable items (remember this is an emergency kit not for everyday use) my favourites are bliss balls, kumara chips, small packets of raisins that small hands need help opening, one square meal snack bars (but mainly because I am addicted to these!).
– Bottle of Water
– Changes of clothes. Don’t put favourites in here, but, you know, those ones that have been to day-care a lot (read: stained) but haven’t made it to the bin yet?
– A bib
– Sunblock & Insect repellent
– A large golf umbrella which helps in both sun & rain situations, and you know it is likely to get a bit of both on an Unexpected Adventure.
– A mat. One of those ones that you are given that seems like a strange present, but you use it all the time. Shiny on one side and plush, mat like on the other.
No longer does my nappy bag over flow (who am I kidding this still happens on a daily basis!) because I can pop to the car and grab bits and pieces from the SACK and order is restored in the world.
Anything you would add to my kit to enhance it? I’d love to hear your suggestions!