As the weather turns colder, and the leaves change colour, I find myself gravitating to heavier more comforting meals, but I still love to try and pack flavour and vegetables into each meal.
This is a beautiful salad on its own or pairs really well with fried tofu or as a side dish to slow cooked lamb.
Roast Pumpkin & Brown Rice Salad with Miso Dressing
- 1 1/2 c Brown rice cooked in chicken stock & cooled
- 1 cup of Silverbeet or you can use spinach or kale washed and thinly sliced.
- 1/2 of a pumpkin cut into wedges I leave the skin on as I like it for presentation purposes
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced into chunky batons
- zest of 1 lemon
- oil for roasting
- 1/4 cup herbs - I used mint & coriander
- 1/4 cup dry roasted cashew nuts
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons white miso paste
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- large thumb sized piece of ginger - minced
- pinch of salt
preheat oven to 180 degrees
prepare pumpkin and carrots and toss in oil, lemon zest, salt & pepper, and put in the oven to roast
prepare dressing by mixing all ingredients with a spoon. If it doesn’t come together easily use a whisk
mix the cooled rice with the silverbeet and most of the herbs, just reserving a small amount to use as garnish.
get a stainless steel bowl ready and when the roast vegetables are tender in the middle and crispy on the ends transfer the hot vegetables to the bowl and add 1/3 of the dressing. Toss. Judge whether you need to add more dressing or if the vegetables are nicely coated.
on your serving plate first put the rice mixture on. then add your warm vegetables. Lastly top with herbs and scattered nuts. and serve the remaining dressing on the side.